In addition to employment opportunities that offer growth and advancement as well as pay increases, bonuses/incentives and long term careers- UpSpire full-time employees are eligible for health benefits. Benefit packages include but are not limited to:
- Short/Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- and more…
The Driver Helper rides on the vehicle and assists a Driver in providing prompt, courteous and complete waste removal services for customers who reside on a designated residential route. The Driver Helper is responsible for safely loading waste, as well as carrying bags and containers to the vehicle for disposal. The position assists the Driver in maneuvering his or her vehicle by directing the Driver from the ground. In addition, the Driver Helper helps to maintain the cleanliness of the vehicle, as well as on the route and in the work area.
- Ride on the vehicle to assist the Driver while servicing customers on a designated route.
- Operate packing mechanism and various levers and handles to activate the lifting and loading mechanism
- Clean waste from the packer blade and truck body on each disposal trip; spray and clean the hopper and truck, if applicable.
- Perform complete pre- and post-operation inspection of the vehicle in accordance with Company policy; report any safety issues on standard reports.
- Courteously interact with all customers, dispatchers and others on a daily basis to ensure all customer routes are serviced in a timely and professional manner.
- Continuously monitor waste for evidence of unacceptable waste.
- Clean area around an accidental waste spill, ensuring adherence to all applicable safety standards and policies.
- Maintain adherence to required productivity standards for the department to ensure all customers are serviced in a timely and efficient manner.
- Follow all required safety policies and procedures.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Ability to be on your feet 8+ hours a day
- Ability to withstand inclement weather including but not limited to rain, sleet, wind, and snow
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work varied schedules including weekends, early morning and late night shifts
- A strong commitment to service others
- Other duties as assigned
- Act in accordance with agency mission and values at all times.
- Maintain professional demeanor and communication with all fellow staff, management, and persons at the outside facilities.
- Seek supervision and support when encountering an obstacle to contract requirements or in carrying out a job responsibility.
- Incorporate supervisory feedback into work performance to improve service delivery.
Supervisory responsibilities: None
Interaction: Other staff, supervisory personnel, outside facility staff and visitors.
Education and Experience: None.
Language and communication: Ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form. Ability to read and understand English. Ability to document incidents legibly. Ability to maintain customer confidentiality and privacy.
Reasoning ability: Must be able to remain calm under high stress and communicate effectively with supervisor, staff and outside personnel both in person and over the phone.
Certificates, licenses and registrations: Valid State ID or driver license
Physical demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Frequently required to sit, stand, stop, lift, reach, kneel and walk. Walking is predominant physical activity throughout the day. Constantly required to lift/carry items weighing upwards of 50-75 lbs unassisted.
Work environment: The work environment will include a manufacturing/warehouse facility. Occasional exposure to outside staff members and visitors with possible confrontational attitudes. Frequent exposure to communicable disease. Occasional exposure to irritating or caustic substances. Exposure to inclement weather and outdoor elements.