In addition to employment opportunities that offer growth and advancement as well as pay increases, bonuses/incentives and long term careers- UpSpire full-time employees are eligible for health benefits. Benefit packages include but are not limited to:
- Short/Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- and more…
The Sorter is responsible for safely and efficiently processing incoming recyclable materials so that outbound commodities are acceptable for sale to various brokers or mills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
Essential Duties & Job Responsibilities:
- Sort and segregate recoverable materials (e.g., aluminum, plastic, glass, paper, etc.) from incoming waste.
- Deposit recoverable materials safely and efficiently into appropriate chutes.
- Assist other sorters on an as-needed basis with heavy or bulky items.
- Follow all Company safety policies and procedures, including stopping the conveyor belt in emergency situations.
- Inspect incoming loads for unacceptable waste; remove unacceptable items as required.
- Communicate with equipment operators regarding incoming loads of special waste or other loads that require special attention.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Follow all standard operating procedures and safety policies
- Pause or stop sort line when needles, sharps, medical waste, hazardous waste or other dangerous items come across the sort line
- Report unusual noises, belt damage or other abnormalities to the workstation lead or shift supervisor
- End your shift by making sure your designated work area is clean of debris, barrels empty, and supplies are returned to designated area
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
• Must have less than 1 year of previous experience in the field.
• Must be at least 18 years of age.
• Legally eligible to work in the United States.
• Successfully complete pre-employment drug screen, physical, and background check, which will include previous employment check, and criminal history.
• Ability to work in a fast paced, team environment.
- Act in accordance with agency mission and values at all times.
- Maintain professional demeanor and communication with all fellow staff, management, and persons at the outside facilities.
- Seek supervision and support when encountering an obstacle to contract requirements or in carrying out a job responsibility.
- Incorporate supervisory feedback into work performance to improve service delivery.
- Be safety conscious at all times
Supervisory responsibilities: None
Interaction: Other staff, supervisory personnel, customers, other.
Education and Experience: High School Diploma/GED.
Language and communication: Ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form. Ability to read and understand English. Ability to document incidents legibly. Ability to maintain customer confidentiality and privacy.
Reasoning ability: Must be able to remain calm under high stress and communicate effectively with supervisor, staff and outside personnel both in person and over the phone.
Certificates, licenses and registrations: Valid State ID or driver license
Physical demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Frequently required to sit, stand, stop, lift, reach, kneel and walk. Walking is predominant physical activity throughout the day.
• Required to use motor coordination with arm, hand, finger, and leg dexterity.
• Required to exert physical effort in handling objects more than 25 pounds frequently.
• Requires pushing, pulling, bending, twisting and lifting up to 70 lbs.
Note: The level of physical effort may vary from site to site and in some cases be greater or lesser than documented here.
Work environment: The work environment will include various atmospheres that will change based on the contract location. Occasional exposure to outside staff members and visitors with possible confrontational attitudes. Frequent exposure to communicable disease. Occasional exposure to irritating or caustic substances. Exposure to inclement weather and outdoor elements..
Listed below are key points regarding the physical requirements, and work environment of the job. A reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
• Normal setting for this job is inside of a warehouse.
• Will be exposed to a physical environment, which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements most of the workday.